Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual, other than an individual’s business title or business contact information. Personal information (e.g. name, address, age, credit card information, banking information) does not include information that cannot be associated with or tracked back to a specific individual. Information that is publicly available, such as a telephone directory listing, is also not considered to be personal information.
Information Collected by JA
1) Personally identifying information
JA only collects personally identifying information about donors, clients, volunteers and event participants for fundraising, program and service delivery, as well as to establish, maintain and manage our relationship with you.
The information JA collects is the minimum amount we need to establish and maintain a service, volunteer, participant, donor or program relationship with you. This includes but is not limited to:
- contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address
- donation information such as date of gift, amount of gift, and name of spouse or partner if it was a joint gift
- financial information such as your payment methods and preferences, billing and banking information (credit card number and expiry date or chequing account transit numbers, in order to process your donation); for online financial transactions such as donations and event registrations, we process standard credit card information (card number, card type and expiration date) via a secure, 128-bit encrypted Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) session. SSL is the proven standard for secure web transactions.
We may be required by law to disclose certain information about you, which you have provided to us. For example, some of the information JA collects is needed in order to satisfy the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (e.g. processing income tax receipts). By providing personal information to JA, you consent to the disclosure of your personal information by JA as may required by law. Personal information will only be disclosed pursuant to a court order.
JA generally collects your personal information directly from you and only with your consent. However, if the individual who has a relationship with the Society is a minor, information may be collected from a parent or legal guardian. In general, JA will not collect or use personal information about you obtained by any third party without your consent. JA will obtain your consent at the time that we collect your personal information. Your initial consent will be deemed to be consent to any subsequent use or disclosure of personal information provided to JA.
2) Website practices – jacanada.org, rrvs-jacanada.org, resources.jacanada.org, blog.jacanada.org Usage tracking
Our websites may automatically record some general information about your visit using Google Analytics, which we use for statistical analysis to help make sure our sites are more useful to visitors and make the most efficient use of donor dollars in our marketing efforts through targeted advertising. This information does not allow us to identify you individually. This information might include the:
- Internet domain for your Internet service provider, such as “company.com” or “service.ca” and the IP address of the computer accessing the website, such as “ppp-55”;
- Type of browser you are using, such as Internet Explorer, Safari or Chrome;
- Type of operating system you are using such as Windows or Macintosh;
- Date and time of the visit to our site, the pages of our site that were visited, and the address of the previous website you were visiting if you linked to us from another website
Data collected for Web analytics purposes goes outside of Canada to Google servers and may be processed in any country where Google operates servers. Data may be subject to the governing legislation of that country. For further information about Google Analytics, please refer to the Google Analytics terms of service.
We also use “cookies” that identify you as a return visitor and which can help us tailor information to suit your individual preferences. A cookie is a piece of data that a website can send to your browser, which may then store the cookie on your hard drive. The goal is to save you time and provide you with a more meaningful visit and to measure website activity. Cookies do not contain any personally identifying information. Many browsers, however, allow you to disable cookie collection if you wish, or inform you when a cookie is being stored on your hard drive.
We protect the security of your transactions on our website by using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) web server certificates that offer secure communications by encrypting all data going to and from JA websites. By proceeding with online transactions on this website, you consent to the use of SSL web server.
This policy discloses the privacy practices for our websites. JA provides links to some JA Charter websites that are not managed by JA Canada.
Please be aware that JA is not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites that we link to. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each and every website that requests personal information from you.
Third-Party Social Media
JA Canada’s use of social media serves as an extension of its presence on the internet. Social media account(s) are public and are not hosted on JA Canada servers. Users who choose to interact with JA Canada via social media should read the terms of service and privacy policies of these third-party service providers and those of any applications used to access them. How does JA Canada use your information?
JA uses your personal information, to process donations, to respond to your requests for services and information, to keep you informed about JA Canada activities, and for fundraising. For example, if you have expressed an interest in participating in a fundraising event, we may send you information about other opportunities to support or participate in JA activities.
JA makes every attempt to use anonymous or aggregate information whenever possible. We may also use information that doesn’t personally identify you in the following ways:
- to assist in the development of new programs, events, and services
- to provide donation recipients with summary or aggregate information about our donations, programs and services
- for internal research purposes
- to develop advertising based on donor preferences by providing personal information to JA you agree to the use of your personal information for the above noted purposes.
When does JA Share your Information?
JA shares your personal information only with employees and/or volunteers who require such information to establish, manage and maintain our relationship with you. We may also disclose your personal information to third party service providers whom we engage to fundraise, process your donation, deliver a support service, support your volunteer activities, or answer your inquiry. These third party providers only have access to personal information that is needed to perform their services and may not use it for any other purpose. They are bound by agreements that obligate them to protect your personal information. Note that in working with our service providers, your personal information may be accessible in, or transferred to, a foreign jurisdiction. Such information may be provided to law enforcement or national security authorities of that jurisdiction in order to comply with foreign laws.
You hereby acknowledge that the use and/or disclosure of personal information is justified or permitted without consent in the following circumstances:
- where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal
- where JA believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group
- where the information is public
Fundraising helps to ensure the on-going stability and quality of the services and programs that JA provides to Canadian youth. If you do not want to receive any marketing or fundraising materials from JA Canada, you can contact our Privacy Office at email@example.com. Please allow up to 8 weeks for your request to be processed, as campaigns may already be in progress.
Accuracy of Information
JA aims to ensure that any personal information provided is accurate, complete and current as required for the purposes for which the information is used.
Safeguarding of Information
JA takes reasonable measures to ensure that personal information is kept safe from loss or theft, unauthorized access, use, copying, disclosure or modification. Safeguards include physical, organizational and technical measures, including but not limited to:
- Key access to premises
- Restriction of access to files on a “need to know” basis;
- Confidentiality undertakings by all employees;
- Firewalls, anti-virus, strong passwords and software solutions for technical security;
Retention of Information
JA keeps personal information only as long as it is required for the reasons it was collected. The length of time we retain information varies, depending on the program, service or event and the nature of the information, for example we keep financial information for 6 years, in accordance with CRA rules and regulations. The retention period may extend beyond your relationship with us. When your personal information is no longer required for JA, the information is either physically destroyed and/or deleted.
161 Bay St., 27th Floor
Terms and Conditions
Unless otherwise indicated, all information contained on www.jacanada.org, rrvs-jacanada.com and resources.jacanada.org, blog.jacanada.org including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio and video clips, is copyrighted by and proprietary to JA Canada. This information is intended for personal and educational use. A notable exception is the use of any licensed stock imagery, the copyright for which remains with the originating licensor; said images are for illustrative purposes only and any persons depicted are models. Licensed material is not to be downloaded for purposes other than personal use and republication, retransmission, reproduction or other use of the licensed material is strictly prohibited. Except as provided below, the information on any JA Canada websites may not be copied, reproduced, transmitted, displayed, distributed, sub-licensed, modified, stored for subsequent use, or otherwise used in whole or in part in any manner, without written authorization from JA Canada.
Information on www.jacanada.org is subject to change without notice.